Spanish is the third most spoken language globally, and the United States has the second largest Spanish-speaking population of the world. Studying this rich and beautiful language at Eastern Kentucky University will give you a professional edge, make you more marketable in any field, and open doors for cultural enrichment. Expand your worldview with opportunities to participate in heritage speaker events, Latino Heritage Month festivities and more.
Spanish 101 and 102 are considered prerequisites to begin a program.
If you have previous studies in Spanish before college, you can start at a higher level and earn additional credit hours for no extra time or money! Talk to an advisor for more information on retro-credit opportunities.
Job Opportunities for Graduates
- Spanish language/culture teachers at public, private and immersion school systems worldwide
- Interpreter/translators in business, legal and medical settings nationally and across the globe (Latin America, Asia, Africa and Europe)
- Migrant education
- Homeland security, FBI, law enforcement
- Teaching English abroad
- Diversity and inclusion officers
- Physician’s assistant
- Public health
- Entrepreneurial opportunities
A Spanish degree enhances ALL majors by providing students with the linguistic and cultural competency to be locally and globally competitive.
Students who major in Spanish have also been successful applicants for graduate school, including medical school, law school, master’s and Ph.Ds.
Students in Spanish programs are eligible to apply for the following scholarships:
- Sigma Delta Pi Spanish Honor Society Summer Study Abroad Scholarships
- Alpha Mu Gamma Foreign Language Honor Society Scholarships
- Leslie Parrish Memorial Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Dr. John Wade Latino Endowed Scholarship