Eastern Kentucky University students will need paper, pencils, pens, notebooks and other general classroom supplies. We also recommend a laptop or tablet, some type of computing device to complete coursework in the dorm room as well as the classroom. (Please see this page for recommendations from our IT department: recommended computer specifications.)
Courses that need books will be posted in late May.
Eligible students may receive book vouchers from the university. Book vouchers can only be used at the EKU Bookstore and may be requested through your myEKU account. All students wishing to purchase books “on account” MUST have a voucher to do so in advance. Only those students who are eligible for financial aid and have signed a Title IV Authorization Form may request a book voucher.
The voucher program is active starting two weeks before the first day of class for any given term. The program ends two weeks after the first day of classes. For Colonels Now, this means you can print and use your book voucher to purchase books between June 14-July 19 for the 2022 Colonels Now summer courses.
The amount of the book voucher available is dependent on the amount of financial aid you will receive compared to the amount owed on your student account. Vouchers are available in $200, $400, $600 and $800 amounts.
Please note, if you complete the process for requesting a book voucher and do not use the full amount or choose to purchase your books elsewhere, you will receive a credit in the amount of your unused voucher in mid-September. There are no credits for book vouchers applied before this time.
For students relying on the book voucher program to purchase books, please complete a FASFA for the upcoming academic year as soon as possible, but no later than July 1 to receive books for the fall semester. After completing the FASFA, it is also very important that students review their myEKU account to see if the financial aid office is requesting additional paperwork.
To Print a Book Voucher
- Go to myEKU.
- Select Current Students, Faculty and Staff and New Employees.
- Login to your personal student account.
- Choose Student Services and Financial Aid.
- Select Student Financial Services.
- Choose Book Voucher.
- Select amount from the drop down menu.
- Read and click I agree to the terms indicated.
- View Book Voucher.
- Print your Voucher to take with you to the EKU Bookstore or use your book voucher directly in the EKU Bookstore checkout process online. The EKU Barnes and Noble Bookstore offers new and used books for sale and rent. Books can also be bought or rented in a digital online format that is accessed through a code. Be sure to look up your books before choosing your voucher as there are several cost options as a result of the many choices.